Thursday, April 11, 2013

Water by the Spoonful

I chose to focus on the scene in which Elliot and Yaz's world intersects with the online world that Odessa has established. I think this scene is the most important moment of intersection because it's the hinge in which the entire play precariously hangs from, essentially the inciting incident that changes everything. From a reader's standpoint this was really cool too because up until this point I had no idea where this play was going, I personally was really thrown off by the internet chat room stuff and found myself confused as to how it related to the play. Then realizing that these characters were all going to be connected both in and out of these two separate storylines I began to grasp the overall depth of this play. This scene also is the moment in which Odessa's secrets are revealed to the audience and the online characters. Up until this incident there really hasn't been much to link these two separate worlds together and now it's revealed that there is a direct connection and it has a much deeper meaning than the first few acts of the play would have you believe. I think the reason that this scene is here in the play is to serve as an explanation as to why Elliot has so much resentment towards his real mother Odessa. I also think that this was essential in deconstructing and then reconstructing initial character perceptions that both audience and characters have established. This scene also shows Elliot's is vindictive feelings towards Odessa and how he begins to put the wheels in motion that will basically send her back down the road to drug abuse. This is why this moment is crucial, because it's pivotal to the entire story in that it is essentially the inciting incident that then changes all the character's worlds in an instant.

3 comments:

  1. I too chose this scene as the point where the worlds most importantly interest. This scene puts in motion the direction of the rest of the play. Up until now the reader doesn't really know what is going on except that there are obviously two worlds existing in this one work. And in these two worlds there really is no connection until this moment where both worlds relate to one another. Not only is this the scene where the most important intersection of the worlds but it is also the scene that gets the rest of the play ‘off the ground and onto its feet’

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more. I especially liked how you wrote about Elliot's feeling towards his mother and how he started her back on her way to a relapse in her recovery. I know it was stated later in the play that that was his intention when he said those words to her, but as I was reading that part in the play, I thought that those words he had said would have consequences later, and that it was possible that they were not just said out of grief of his adopted mom, but because he intended them to hurt the woman who abandoned him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man Garrett I like to read your post because they sometimes give me a different perspective than what I might have gotten when I read the play for the first time. This play is no different I would agree that internet chat room stuff through me off and I didn't realize how important this scene was to the play until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete