Friday, May 3, 2013

3 Viewings

I see Three Viewings as being about character revelation and over arching character change to its very core. Each character has a realization or finding of themselves that essentially brings about a change in their personality or mindset whatever it may be. All of these elements of personal change are related due to the fact that each character undergoes their revelations after the passing of an individual that was close to them. Not to mention the fact that each individual story takes place within the same world of the play. Also, these stories in themselves are all related in a way that they are happening in the same plane of existence. The common motif of death surrounds this play, so much so I believe that within the world of this play death itself is almost like a rite of passage awaking new emotions and reactions that the characters never realized were there. If I were to come up with a unifying principle for this play I would choose, Death evoking life. To me that represents the idea that these characters are able to move forward and change their perspectives but only after the person whom has passed imparts some wisdom on them, be it direct or indirectly. progression and realization. It could be argued that individual characters must experience the passing of a friend or family member before they can move on to the next phase of their lives. What's interesting about the realization concept is that it's not only a self-awareness realization for the characters directly but it's also a realization for the audience as well. The fact that each story includes an "ah-ha" moment in a literary sense, actually makes the world of the play enter into our world as well. I know I'm trying to get deep and meta again with this concept, but hey, it's my damn blog.

3 comments:

  1. I am blown away with your analysis of this play. I plan on doing this play for my final analysis and while my unifying principle is very close to your argument, you have allowed me to look at it from a different angle and now I feel much more secure in my decision on how to proceed with it. You do deep well, and I'm very glad I was able to witness your insight to these plays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there is an obvious motif of death. Along with each passing, the main character experiences a form of resolution whether this resolution be emotionally or physically (in this case the 3rd piece) . This form of resolution allows the character to move on from the baggage that the death of the person close to them has left. Intensifying the idea that the play might provoke that maybe in death there is also rebirth within the world of this show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The death evoking life motif makes so much sense! I had the most difficult time trying to connect the three different monologues. I knew that it was there because it “felt” connected, though I couldn’t put my finger on why it did. The observation that you made about death almost being a “rite of passage” for the characters that are alive brings so much clarity to the story and how all of these characters are the same, yet so, so different.

    ReplyDelete