Friday, May 3, 2013

On the Verge

Tagline:
On the Verge: Oh What Tangled Word Webs We Weave.

Well, I came up with this tagline because obviously there is a plethora of very distinct and overly complex terminology within this play. It's apparent that the use of such verbose terms becomes a rhythm in itself that creates a flowing complexity of words that can be at times somewhat overwhelming to comprehend. My tagline plays into this concept by creating a tounge-twisting description of the very element that creates the play’s unique and distinct take on some interesting and arguably archaic vocabulary. I think this tagline is jocluar by its own right, because it also can allude to the idea of the flora and fauna you might discover whilst traversing throughout the untamed jungle. I think also this serves to represent the strange tangle of character interaction and the relationships that are present throughout the entire play along with the random assortment of characters involved. The story of the play is just as much an adventure in the use of words as it is a trip through time and space. So I believe it’s just as important to represent the adventure in vocabulary of the story as it is to represent the adventure itself. Since the story is kind of absurdist and lighthearted I feel that this tagline keepts in line with that overall tone.
I think I'll take a stab at attempting to answer the question pertaining to who Mr. Coffee is because I think this interaction is particularly interesting. So we discussed in class that Mr. Coffee is supposed to represent death which is an idea reinforced by his ability to predict events to come. I actually believe that the reason why the character is titled Mr. Coffee is due to the fact that it's a brand name from the future that represents man's progress in his ability to create technology to make his life easier. That is to say that it's man's dependency on this technology that will eventually lead to his downfall. A little too meta? Perhaps, but I'd say that it makes more sense than saying coffee equals death.



 

 

1 comment:

  1. I really love this tagline! Not only does it play with the complexity of the vocabulary by the use of alliteration but it also even mentions the vocabulary in the statement! Who whowooddathunk? I also really like your answer for who Mr. Coffee is. I too think that Mr. Coffee personifies death, however, I did not think of how the man’s dependence on technology will eventually lead to his downfall! Very insightful!

    ReplyDelete